Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 13: Star Trek the Original Series " The Conscience of the King"

It seems Trekking every day can become a bit of a pain in the ass. Logistically doing the blog every day just isn't feasible. Even Kirk is fallible in some ways right? (trick question, the answer of course is no) I'll try to post every day but hey shit happens and If I find myself hung over after an all night Saurian Brandy bender I won't be posting.

Ok, Let's get to it. This episode deals with the age old question "do I kill 4000 people to save 4000 others?" I know I asked myself this just the other day when I noticed someone used the last Post-Its at the office. Kirk's buddy Dr. Leighton brings him to Planet Q under false pretenses to inform him that he believes the leader of a traveling acting troupe might be the infamous Kodos "the Executioner." Kodos earned the moniker "the executioner" twenty years earlier when he killed 4000 people in order to save 4000 others from starvation. Don't you remember the big famine on Tarsus IV where a space fungus had destroyed the ration supply.
It's simple right, pick up this Kodos character and put him on trial. Ahhh.....but the rub you see is that Kodos has an incredibly hot daughter that Kirk falls for complicating the matter. It's all very Shakespearean as we find out that It's Kirks new space lady that has been killing the only surviving people who can identify Kodos. She then kills her father on accident, on stage of course, in a sort of symbolic justice. (that wacky Shakespeare!) For the most part I became distracted by the incredibly low-fi way she attempted to poison Lt. Kevin Riley's milk. I mean is this how space poison is slipped into a drink in the 23rd century? It's a goddamn spray bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment